Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Almost One

As Peyton's first birthday approaches I find myself increasingly sad and nostalgic.  I have been torturing myself by looking at all the photos from when she was born and when we first brought her home. Lately I have been daydreaming of holding that small baby and kissing her little head and cheeks.  Today I am lucky to hold Pey for five minutes without her deciding she has something more fun to do.
And I know I sound like every other in the world, including my own.  This weekend I was whining about how I missed Peyton being little, I said "I wish she was still that little baby, that would let me hold her and not try to get away."  My Mom looked at me and said, "I wish YOU were too". 
So as a parents it seems that feeling of longing never goes away.  We will always miss that day we first held them or the day we brought them home.  We can't help it.
But watching her grow and learn this past year has been amazing, and I look forward to next year and how she will change and become a little girl, who talks and walks and digs deeper into all our hearts.
Eight days and counting....

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful post and a precious little girl! You took the words right out of my mouth -- my little girl just turned 10 months and I am already so sad and yet happy at the same time about her 1st birthday. It really does go by so quickly, doesn't it? But it is also exciting to see them learn and experience new things too!

    ReplyDelete